Unrelated Wizards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unrelated Wizards

Unrequited Wenis

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree

Go down 
+2
Storeroom Greengrassi
Ginny Weasley
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Invité

A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree Empty
PostSubject: A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree   A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 2:08 am

Emma wants me to write this and post it here. She was feeling sentimental.

My Dear Unrelated Wizards,

I have to warn you, this is going to be incredibly long and sappy. You may just want to skip over it. Smile

When I was younger, I was obsessed with one thing: finding my niche. You know, the place you're meant to be. And, being the little dork I was, I knew where my niche would be: at Hogwarts. I would learn magic and sleep in dorms and have friends and live in the world I had read about since I was six years old. It was what I wished for, every single birthday and every single time I saw a shooting star.

Exactly three years ago, I was certain today would be that day, the day an owl soared through my window and brought me my ticket to Hogwarts. (Of course now, I know that you get your ticket on your birthday, not Harry's, but I wasn't aware of that then.)

My letter didn't come. Part of me is still convinced it's out there somewhere, but a much larger part of me thinks it came in a different form.

Spring break for me was in March. I had been slowly immersing myself in the fandom over the previous year, as well as the Nerdfighter community. I was online for ridiculous amounts of time everyday.

Throughout all this, I kept waiting to make friends. I felt pangs of envy whenever I saw WRock bands made up of best friends and heard everyone on Mugglecast tease each other. Those people, I had thought, had found Hogwarts. They had their magic, and they had people to share it with. And I didn't think that would ever happen to me. Ever.

However, that night in March, I went on Unrelated Captions. Two names in the recent comments section had caught my eye: Remus Lupin and Severus Snape. I clicked.

The picture was of George Bush, with a caption about a magic potion. I read the role playing comments. I laughed. I typed in the first character that came to mind. I joined. And I would never be the same.

Twenty minutes into the role playing, I called my friend Sarah, who I had recently been trying to get into HP. I told her that this was the perfect example of the awesomeness of the HP fandom. She joined as Hermione.

The Unrelated Captions role play continued until aboot midnight before we got in trouble and were referred to our own little section (The Epic Harry Potter Role play!) It was pretty beastly.

The next day, I was on non-stop. When my mother demanded I get out of the house and do something, walked to the library and used the computers there.

Even after all of that, I didn't think this little role play I joined would be a permanent thing. I thought it would last a week or so, then maybe fall apart. It was cool, yes, but would it change my life? No. I'd go back to school after the break and be the same socially-awkward wallflower that I had always been. I was certain of it.

But...it didn't fade. In fact, it grew stronger. And by the time I got on the next morning...we had a website. An actual website. And that's when I really got excited. We had a website. Our very own website. We were like kids with a cool new toy. Smile

Anyone who was there for the first week knows that it was complete and total chaos. Sraco's raping rampage, the rise and fall of Cho, and the love saga between Siri and Rem kept us pretty busy. I was on aboot twelve hours a day the entire spring break, and I loved every second of it.

After the first week, things calmed down slightly. UW went from being an amazing occurrence to part of my everyday life. I got to know everyone really well, and we welcomed a few new members. I still, however, thought of UW as a temporary thing. It was too good to last, I thought. Surely, something was going to come along and ruin it.

And it did. The Unrelated Family incident started from the most innocent thing. And then secrets poured out. And then everyone started yelling. I'm not going to go into details, but there was some serious shit going on. I freaked out. And I logged off for what I was sure would be the last time.

I was CERTAIN the website would not last. I took a shower so I could cry. And I cried for a really long time. I had loved UW. I hadn't wanted it to end.

But when I got out, I decided to get back on, to try to see if anyone had stuck around. And what I saw...I read the archives, and I heard it reenacted, but I still don't understand how it didn't crash and burn.

Instead of a massive fight and the collapse of the website, everyone cried. And everyone hugged. And we became a family that night. I can't tell you how good that felt.

I had a secret that I could tell you guys, my own personal shit. But I didn't. I did, however, PM it to Hermy. I didn't have the guts to tell you guys, but you guys gave me the guts to tell my RL friend. And I thank you for that.

That was the turning point. That night, I found Hogwarts.

I went to school the next morning glowing. I knew that no matter what I did or said, no matter how much I screwed up, I could go home and have my Unrelated Family there for me. My lack of social skills didn't stop that day, but they lessened. I gained confidence. I can't tell you how good it felt.

After that...any Nashvillian will tell you, things went to hell. I still get shaky when I think aboot May 2nd. It was the day of the Final Battle, which I still find ironic.

I got home from my band trip at 4 in the morning. I was woke up at 7:45 to evacuate my home. The creek in my backyard rose three feet in the ten minutes between when I was woken up and when we left.

That next 24 hours was hell. Complete and utter hell. I'm not going to go over the details, but that flood should have reached my house. We should have flooded. The water was so fucking close.

Seeing my community underwater shook me. I start shaking thinking aboot it, even though it's three months later. I don't have words for any of it yet, but they day was the worst of my life.

UW kept me sane through that whole week. Thankfully, though my phone was down, my internet was still up. I remember being on when my mother told me to pack a bag in case we had to evacuate again. I couldn't think straight, so I asked what I should bring. My response? A mobile library. ...Love you, guys. Very Happy I can't tell you how much I needed that.

The whole month after the flood, I was in a funk. It was like permanent PMS. That entire time, I was just not myself AT ALL. I would have fallen to pieces if I hadn't had this. You guys were my lifeline. I'm sorry, cause I know I was irritating that month.

Through all this, our little site expanded. We had a political uprising, I went lesbo, and we got even more new people. New inside jokes came to be. A wedding took place. And we grew closer.

The next time I really got hit with how important this is to me was when I went to camp. Those three weeks were hell. They served Oreos WHEREVER I WENT. And when I laughed when I saw them, people would look at me funny. If only they knew.

That camp used to be my sanctuary. I never fit in there, even less than I did at school, but I still felt comfortable there. I still wished to be there. But this year, when I went...it wasn't right. I was happy, but the happiest I was was when Gabby and I would meet up, lay out on our towels, and talk Fan Fiction. I probably annoyed the shit out of her because I talked about you all so much. Sorry, Gabs.

When I came home after camp, I was scared shitless. I was afraid I'd come home and it'd all be gone. Maybe I had simply dreamed it all. But, no. You guys were there.

We've come a long way. We go through shit. We fight. There's drama. But in the end, we're a family. Every time there's a fight, we get stronger, not weaker. If this place was perfect, it wouldn't work. So, next time there's an argument or political uprising, don't panic (pointed glance at Remy). We'll get through it.

You guys have helped me so much. When I went to band camp this week, I had a meltdown on the second day. I didn't know anyone to talk to. I freaked. I started to breathe fast, so I just went over in the corner and read the plaques on the wall til someone I knew got there. That's the normal thing for me to do.

But the third day, I stopped. I pretended everyone was a new person on UW. I talked to them like I would to you guys. And I think it worked. I think I made friends. You have no clue how good it feels.

That night, I showered. I go ready for bed. I said goodnight to my family.

“Goodnight, Mom.”

“'Night, Jacob.”

I texted my dad goodnight.

And then I tried to get to sleep. It didn't work, but I knew what was wrong.

I got online to say goodnight, but ended up staying on for an hour. Finally, I got around to what I meant to do.

“Goodnight, guys. I love you all.”

And then I went to bed.

I could rant for hours, write you all personal notes on how I love you to death, or recall every single memory I have, but it's time to wrap it up. My wife's a boy and is jacking off in a closet, always a sure sign that it's time to intervene.

You guys are my beyond my best friends, truly attaining family status (in Hedwig's case, that's always been true, but oh well). I want nothing more than to meet the people behind the character, cause you're all more awesome than you'll ever know. One day, maybe I shall glomp you in RL.

Until then, get to know Emma instead of Ginny. I talk really fast, I'm a tad egotistical, I'm spazzy. I have to wash my hair daily, or it gets oily and icky. I'm vegetarian. I'm chubby, and I only where glitter on my fingernails, no polish. I have a tendency to dislike people automatically if they're pretty. I over analyze EVERYTHING. I want to be a writer someday. This rant is good practice.

At some point, Either Emma turned into Ginny or vice versa. Maybe it's a bit of both. But whatever the change, it brought me you guys, so it was for the better.

I really didn't plan on writing this. I was going to write an FF for today, cause it's a fandom holiday, but this happened instead. I hope I didn't freak anyone out with all my sappiness, but I really do love you guys.

Across the world today, little kids are going to be disappointed. There owl will not come. Dreams will be crushed. I feel bad for them. I empathize.

I hope they all find their Hogwarts someday, like I've found mine.

Love,

Emma/Ginny
Back to top Go down
Ginny Weasley
Admin
Ginny Weasley

PostSubject: Re: A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree   A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 2:32 am

I love you.
Back to top Go down
Storeroom Greengrassi
Slytherin
Slytherin
Storeroom Greengrassi

PostSubject: Re: A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree   A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 3:38 am

Deeeeeeep. Wholy.

I FIND it amazing that this is OUR website. NO adults were needed to establish this epicness that we have here. BE PROUD GUYS! WE ARE REVOLUTIONARY! *fistpumps*

All I'm saying, because I don't want to stay up all night writing something,
You guys have kept me sane. Heh... You may have noticed that I don't have the best temper of everyone around.... And that I'm brutally honest.. sometimes to a point where it's harsh, and that I'm SUPER pushy and manipulative. Well I think that without UW I would be worse than what I am now. An angst kid, causing mischief. And I thank you guys for that.
Back to top Go down
Snape
Slytherin
Slytherin
Snape

PostSubject: Re: A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree   A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 11:26 am

Without UW, I'd probably be sitting around at my house being bored right now. I woulfn't laugh at most of the thigns I laugh at now. It would just be... weird...
I always say that things are meant to happen for a reason, so there is probably some huge reason for tis happening. There's also a reason I changed from being Severus Snape to Alicia Spinnet.
I love all of you guys! You're my second family who I can tell anything to!
Back to top Go down
Ceddy
Ravenclaw
Ravenclaw
Ceddy

PostSubject: Re: A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree   A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 12:16 pm

Before UW, i was a Facebook addict. I mean, I was on there 24/7. Hermione (sarah) described UW to me IRL about... a week after it was made, and i thought 'Wow.... i think i'll stick with Facebook'.

But then one day, when Ron was over at my house, I decided to join on a whim. I basically picked up GoF and chose the first character I turned to.

I fell in love with everyone, and switched form Facebook to UW.

I can't believe that a bunch of kids, the oldest being 17, have created this little universe of sites that's bound to take over the world someday.

I like the way UW is now.... No advertising, no OCs, no 553489709847 members... Just our little family. And I love that other UUR sites may come and go, but UW is always there.

[/deep]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree   A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 5:16 pm

Last edited by Daphne Greengrass on Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Parvy

Parvy

Location : If I told you, then it wouldn't be a secret anymore.

PostSubject: Re: A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree   A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 7:29 pm

Okay, so at one point while I was reading everyone's posts, I actually almost started to cry. Legit. I haven't been here since the start, but what everyone has already said somewhat applies to me in some way. In my town and at my school, I only have one friend who really loves HP as much as I do, but her parents are super protective and I can't hang out with her much. So, I was basically alone with my obsession. But just as everyone else here, I saw people RPing as HP characters in the comments of Unrelated Captions. I was thinking that they were a little weird, but why not join and see how it goes? Which led me to joining UW. The first time I came on, I remember how everyone was all "OMG WE HAVE A PARVATI NOWAIIII! IMMA CALL YOU PARVY!" And such. And I remember thinking how cool everyone was, and how I wanted to get to know them. But I also thought that this would just fade away and I would stop coming online, which is what happens with most websites that I find.
But it didn't fade. Almost four months, and I've been on every single day possible, talking to you guys. You accept me for who I am and don't ask for anything more, for which I am eternally grateful to each and every one of you. Throughout middle school, my social situation went a little like this: I made friends with a group of people, I hung out with them for a couple months, and then they just stopped talking to me. This happened repeatedly for about two and a half years, until the middle of 8th grade (2010). I now have about seven or eight people who I call my close friends. But I still don't tell them everything. I've always been scared about getting too close to people, because they would leave me. But once I had been on for a couple weeks, I saw how open everyone was with each other, and I started to really think of everyone as a family.
I defintely want to keep in touch with all you guys through high school and college, and maybe even after, when we all have jobs and families and houses. Right now, I'm not telling my family about how important this website is to me. They wouldn't understand it. They think that talking to strangers and giving out personal information is dangerous and bad. Which it can be. But I knows you guys are real kids, just like me. You aren't forty year old serial rapists with mustaches and beer bellies. I've heard your voices, seen some of your pictures, and one day I hope to tackle-hug you in person. And even though right now that isn't possible, I'm waiting and praying for the day when it is. (By the way, I'm really sorry that this is so long, but I need to tell everyone this. Even if you don't read it.)
Around the end of May, I was feeling really alone. I hadn't contacted my church friends in a while, my friends were all busy with other stuff, my parents kept fighting, I felt uglier every day, and I felt like no one had time for me. Whenever I was home alone, I fought the urge to take a knife from my kitchen and cut myself. Just to see if it would make me feel a little better, just to see if someone would notice and try to help me get through these hard times. I came on here to talk to you guys almost every day, and it made me feel a million times better. You would make me laugh and smile and I felt like I had real friends, and a real family. Without you all, I would probably be cutting myself and crying every day, not wanting to look in the mirror. But especially once I posted my picture, I felt so much better about myself, that I was pretty and good and that my life wasn't so bad after all. My parents are still fighting, and I'm praying for the day that they get divorced, and I'm scared about going into high school. But you guys are making it all bearable. Whoever says Harry Potter is stupid should take a look at this website. It's brought us all together, and we've made friendships that will hopefully last a lifetime. All thanks to Jo. Smile
You all are truly my best friends and my family. I'll never forget it. I love you all so much.
Back to top Go down
Invité

PostSubject: Re: A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree   A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 7:45 pm

Awwww! *group glomps*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree   A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 8:14 pm

Well, if you've ever read the post in the "New Members" Forum, you know I'm awkward. INCREDIBLY awkward. I'm not good with words, and I never have been. I'm a little heartless, but you guys are like a family to me. I barely consider my blood relatives family anymore, so I hope this means something to you guys.
*sigh* I dunno how to start this off. I found this site through UC, just like most people. Thought it would be fun to get away from nothing (or everything) for a while. Started commenting as Teddy, seeing as he's actually my favorite character. I asked why everyone's name was red and found the link to this place. I joined, made a crappy first impression (again, horrible with words), and became addicted.

In school, I have a group of friends. About 4. 3 of them are my real friends. 2 of them I've known since elementary. 1 of them is a girl. I'm pushy, obsessive, awkward, loud, short-fused and sarcastic, but somehow I fit in here. I don’t fit in like that with my real friends. I have to act like someone I’m not, or I get yelled at.
Lately, I've been seeing some things in RL. My friends don't respect me. We fight all the time. They make fun of me for liking The-Series-That-Must-Not-Be-Named, which THEY MADE ME READ in the first place, and none of them will read Harry potter. So now, I'm up until 3 in the morning, talking to people who understand me, even if they've never met me.
Because of this site, I laugh a lot more. I have fun, even in the little things. I’m not even supposed to read Harry Potter. But I don’t see why not. It can connect people, even save lives. I might not have an amazing story like anyone else, but this place has made a big difference. As soon as I can drive, I’m FINDING you all on my spring break. And glomping you.
Thanks for keeping—making—me sane. I love you guys.
Back to top Go down
Roes

Roes

PostSubject: Re: A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree   A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 8:16 pm

Ok, I doubt this will bring anyone to tears, for I haven't been here as long as some of you have. I wasn't there in the UC post or anything of the sort, I just happened to come across this site on Harry's tumblr. But even though I've only been here a little less than a month, yall have already made an impact on my life/summer.
I am very insecure about myself. I have RL friends, sure, but deep down something inside of me always tells me that when I step outside hearing range, they talk about me and secretly hate me. I have always felt that was, even with my closest friends. Even beyond that, if I don't have a class with them, Im alone and disliked. I go to a small school where 'everyone gets along with everyone' but I don't. I never know what exactly I did to make the majority of them dislike me, but they do. In some cases, they even talk about me while they know I can hear them, and it hurts. I try not to let the people whos opinion I don't care about bother me, but that is easier said than done. I, like Parvy, did go through cutting because of this, and even today I get the urge to do it, but I have long since given that up. But when I came to this site, and saw that even on my first night on here I had people sticking up for me, caring about me, and one another. You guys accepted me as a welcomed addition, and finally I feel like I've found that set of friends that will stick with me till the end, even if we never meet in person. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree   A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Letter For the Holiday: More Sap Than a Maple Tree
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Unrelated Wizards :: The Potterverse :: this where all the main shit is.-
Jump to: