Unrelated Wizards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unrelated Wizards

Unrequited Wenis

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My Story... If anyone's interested/cares.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ceddy
Ravenclaw
Ravenclaw
Ceddy

My Story... If anyone's interested/cares. Empty
PostSubject: My Story... If anyone's interested/cares.   My Story... If anyone's interested/cares. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 5:20 pm

For anyone who has read the Redwall series, the Warriors series, and J.R. Tolkein, it's basically a mix of the three. It's about kitties. Manly, I know.

Chapter 1

“Come on, Harriele! Sister Nayla cut a watermelon!”
A kitten tugged at Harriele’s leg. Watermelon? It sounded refreshing, but he mustn’t take his mind off work…
“Harriele, don't you want some?” He snapped out of his daze. He kneeled toward the gold tabby kitten that was tempting him to play outside. “I would love to, but Ekelstasie has an urgent job for me. Why don't you save me a piece?” Harriele said calmly. “I will!” the kitten said enthusiastically. “I promise I’ll play with you and your friends some other time!” He called after the kitten, who was now rushing toward the courtyard.
As he began down the main corridor, his mind wandered once more, this time towards his childhood. Once a kitten reached the age of 6 moons, he was supposed to choose what he wanted to be when he got older: A cook, a messenger, a scrollkeeper, or a gatekeeper to name a few. They then took apprenticeship with the current master of that job, and at the end of their apprenticeship, they took at test, and only the best got to take up the occupation. The rest were prompted to choose another one, or become a warrior, the ‘average’ occupation.
Harriele was never the ambitious type; all he wanted in life was to work and start a family. He could never picture himself as anything else than a warrior as a child, yet after winning the abbeywide race, he was prompted by his brother, father, and many others to apply for messenger apprenticeship. He went out on a limb, and lo and behold, he became a messenger. He wasn’t high ranked or anything, but there have been considerably less messengers this season, so once the higher, more senior ranks retire he’ll move up quickly.
He shuddered at the thought of being Alpha messenger. Alpha Harriele… he could never see that happening. He chuckled lightly to himself at the thought. Then he set his mind back on work. He was to deliver a message to the nursery, what was it… oh, yes; ‘The date of the moonly doctor visit to the kits has been moved up to 5 sunrises from its original date’… or something along those lines. He brushed past Eridas, his childhood friend, who then grabbed him by his scruff.
“Ah, Hari. Good timing. Your brother says he needs you in the library, and if you would please come as soon as possible.” Eridas stuttered, as if trying to remember his exact words.
“Of course, right in the middle of an assignment. Yasi has such impeccable timing. Have you told Ekelstasie?” Harriele sighed.
“Yes, he’s pardoned you and passed on the message to Beta Samion. Just report back to him after you’re done.”
“You wouldn't be a bad messenger yourself, Eri.” Harriele joked.
“Oh, no. Running all over the island, trying to find patrols and going back and forth constantly in between cities? No thanks! I’ll leave that to you guys!”
“Thanks!” Harriele said sarcastically. Eridas smiled and nodded, and Harriele started towards the library.
Yasper, Harriele’s brother, was the apprentice to Lacirul, the scrollkeeper. He was nearing the end of his apprenticeship, and considering he was the only applicant for his occupation, he was bound to get the job. He had been reading since he was only 3 moons old anyways, so he was definitely cut out for it.
Harriele swung open the huge old doors to the library. Yasper was gazing intently at an old faded scroll. He rose to greet his brother.
“Could you have worse timing, Yasper? I’m right in the middle of an assignment!”
“I’m sorry, but at least Ekelstasie gave you pardon.”
“You never cease to amaze me, Yasi. You might even become more successful than me.” Harriele said sarcastically. Of course he would turn out to be more successful than him.
“Anyways, onto the point of my summoning you here. Take a look at this scroll.”
Yasper delicately handed Harriele an old, yellowed scroll. He pulled it open, and it turned out to be several paragraphs in an older dialect, followed by a faded map. He tried to make out the old scripts, but he could only identify some vague sentences. In school he had chosen to take Furotian, not Ancient Languages. “So? What’s so special about this, besides it's probably older than the bricks on this wall?” He quizzed.
“Can you not read the paragraphs?” Yasper asked, amazed at his minute language skills.
“You're the one who knew Aetolian by the time you entered the Academy! Then you took Ancient Language AND Hemarric!”
Yasper was indeed the pride of the Douna family. He was smart, clever, had an amazing knack for history and language, and could remember exactly which scroll he had learned something from. He was also swift on his paws in battle, and could befuddle his enemy without making a move. Harriele won a race. Never mind being the son of Deyna, one of the most revered leaders of Cattalaus. He was just another messenger grunt. While Yasper, the great, smart, magnificent son of Deyna Douna was Cattalaus’ child prodigy. True, Harriele was a bit jealous. But it made him angry that his younger brother turned out to be the ‘heir to Deyna’s reign’.
“It seems to be a journal, or a time capsule of some sort.” Yasper said, not having looked up once at his brother yet.
“Well, would it bother you to tell me what it says?” Harriele said, irritated. Why was he even summoned here? To watch his brother loom over some old scroll?
“If you’re not even going to tell me the reason why I’m here, I’m leaving. I have work to do. You’re lucky, Yasi. You sit around and read all day, and everyone still calls you the most precious cat in Cattalaus. Now, pardon me while I go work my tail off for Ekelstasie.” Harriele stormed off. Yasper started to follow, but by the time he got to Ekelstasie’s chamber, he was heading back towards the library. Only messengers, the leader’s advisor, and medical assistants could enter the camber freely at all times.
“Reporting for duty, sir.” Ekelstasie acknowledged Harriele, and sat down.
“I have several things to tell you, Harriele.” Ekelstasie said thoughtfully. Harriele gulped. His mind started racing. What had he done wrong? Ekelstasie saw the worried face that Harriele was making, and chuckled. “You have done nothing wrong, Harriele. So wipe that look off your face, and come sit down.”
Many people thought that the way Ekelstasie acted around the Dounas was unfair almost, but considering Ekelstasie was Harriele’s father-in-law, he thought nothing of it. Plus, Ekelstasie had only been leader for, oh, 5 moons. Deyna’s surprising retirement after the birth of Yasper was sudden, so Ekelstasie, his advisor, was not used to being leader yet. Súekum, Jasper’s old advisor and the current leader of the Aetolia family, was busy organizing records in a closet to the right of Ekestasie’s workplace. The old fleabag had been around forever, and was nearing the end of his rope. When kittens ask how old he is, he says he witnessed the birth of the moon, and helped create the Saelat Mountains to the south, but Harriele had heard from Eridas that he was 14 seasons, and became Jasper’s advisor when he was just 9 moons. Jasper died when Harriele was only a moon old, and Harriele didn't remember much of him, but he knew many cats revered him. Had Deyna really been ruler for that long?
Harriele sat down on the comfy cushion.
“Alpha Kurenai has decided to retire.”
Harriele gazed in shock. Alpha Kurenai? Retire? “When?” Harriele said frantically.
“Not immediately, she still has to decide who the new Beta will be. But of course, Samion will be the new Alpha.” Great, Harriele was going to have to answer to Beta Samion now. He wished he could sit around and read scrolls all day like Yasper, or cook sweets all day like Sir Ciril, the resident chef.
“So, why tell just me this?” Harriele inquired.
“Because I have a feeling that Alpha Kurenai will ask you to be the new Beta, Harriele.”
There was a long moment of silence while Harriele stared in disbelief. “Me? The new Beta?!”
In every department that required leadership, there was either an elite group or rank that one or two cats held. In the brigade of warriors, there was the Leong Patrol. In the kitchen, the Sir Chef was in high command. No different for the messengers. The Alpha was the almighty leader, who only answered to Ekelstasie. The Beta was there, in case the Alpha wasn’t, like a vice ruler. Then there was the Gamma, who was like a secretary. All messages were transferred to the Alpha through him, and he made sure that all messages were delivered properly. To become an Alpha or a Beta, you have to have been a Gamma for at least 3 moons. Which Harriele had not. All others were Deltas, but usually just called by their names.
“I haven’t even done a smidge of Gamma work! I don't even know who the current Gamma is!” Harriele pleaded.
Ekelstasie chuckled. “You don't know? Gamma Moah has been filing all those messages for almost 2 seasons now! And she’s getting ready to retire, too, so I think you’ll be doing Gamma work soon enough.”
Harriele didn't understand. Moah was only 3 seasons old, so that must mean she was a Delta for only 3 or 4 moons? And surely you had to be older than that to become a Gamma so quickly. Plus, if she were going to retire soon, wouldn’t she be the obvious choice for Beta? His mind was spinning with questions he couldn’t say in words. All that came out was a weak ‘wha?’.
“Ekelstasie, sir? May I be pardoned? I’m getting a bit peckish, and I really should get back to work.”, Harriele squeaked. Ekelstasie chuckled his hearty laugh, and nodded his approval. “Take care, and work hard like always, young sir!”
Harriele liked Ekelstasie. He listened well, and he always appreciated the work everyone did, even the kits. But, when the time came to discipline a cat, he was always fair in his judgment. But, he was bad at explaining. He always liked to voice his thoughts, but sometimes the thoughts didn't come out clearly. He wished he knew Jasper better. He decided to visit his father in the elder’s den. He turned at the Great Hall, and climbed down the stairs to the little basement. There was a small wooden door at the bottom of the stairwell, and he opened this door. It took great force, but the elders rose to greet him as soon as he opened the door.
“Ah, young master Harriele! How nice of you to come down our way.” Laughed an elder named Gaminè.
“Is my father available?”
“Yes, he’s just finishing his afternoon meal.” Gaminè said, almost forcefully, as if she was calling him from afar. Deyna bounded out of the back room, as healthy as ever. He was only about 7 or 8 seasons. Harriele had no idea why he was staying in the elder’s den, in this dark, damp place.
“Father!” Harriele called. They touched noses. “Have you been well?”
“Yes, very much so. I imagine you and your brother have been hard at work as well? At least, I hope you have!”
“Yasi’s still sitting around with his nose in a scroll all day as usual, while I’m running all over the island to deliver messages.” His father chuckled.
“My, Hari! Look at the muscles you’ve developed! You’ve obviously been working hard. How far have you gone?” He dodged.
“All the way out to Alisa, near Aeromont. It was quite a journey, I was glad to have accompaniment!” Harriele lied. He was accompanied by Beta Samion, who did nothing but talk about how short this journey was compared to his daily runs, and another Delta by the name of Kogico who acted like he was going to become Alpha tomorrow. But by the looks of him, he probably had just finished his apprenticeship.
“Father, why do you stay here? Why don't you help out Ekelstasie in the chambers? He’s be glad to have you there.” Harriele questioned hesitantly. Deyna made a face.
“Well, when I backed off as leader, it felt like it was time to shrink back to a simple life. Like my time to shine was over, my 15 minutes of fame.” He said philosophically.
“Are you kidding? You were an amazing leader. Your 15 minutes of fame was more like 8 minutes. You should have stayed. It really was a shock to everyone.”
“Well, everyone needs a chance at leadership, don't they?”
“Look at old Súekum! He’s been an advisor to 3 leaders, and he’s still going. He’s probably going to go until he finally just goes out. You know, when old Súekum finally goes, you would be a good advisor to Ekelstasie.”
Deyna made a face of astonishment, with a look of knowingness in his eyes. “Harriele! Show some respect for your elders! I raised you better than that.”
Harriele chuckled. “Oh, and… could you tell me what Jasper was like?”
Deyna smiled, then had a faraway look in his eyes. “Do you not remember?”
“Dad, he died when I was only 2 moons.”
“Oh, that’s right… he loved you so much! He knew you were going to grow up to be a lady’s man. Smart and handsome.” Harriele blushed. He longed to talk to Jasper now.
His mind then turned his relationship status. Harriele had overheard much gossiping about him among the she-cats, and even gotten some love letters. But he didn’t think of himself as anything special, just your average-faced teenage male cat. He did want to continue the Douna family line, even though his brother will probably turn out to be the successor to the family heritage. Which, by the way, annoyed him ever so slightly.
“Hari? Something wrong?”
Harriele snapped out of his daze. He remembered that he hadn't told Ekelstasie or Alpha Kurenai that he had gone to see his father.
“Sorry father, I mustn’t sit idle for so long. I have to go back to the messenger’s den. I’ll see you later, and you really should consider doing something around here than sitting on your tail all day in the elder’s den.” Harriele joked. “I must go now.” They touched noses, and Harriele bounded off towards the messenger’s den.
Harriele checked in with Gamma Moah. She turned to her shelf of summons, organized by name and rank. “You’ve been summoned along with Beta Samion and Delta Mazesa to the chambers. I think it’s important, so you must go immediately.”
“Is Mazesa still in the den?”
“No, she checked in just a smidge before.”
“Thanks, Moah.” Moah nodded and smiled sweetly, and Harriele started towards the chambers. He wondered what she would be like if she ever became Alpha. Answering to Alpha Moah… that would be an interesting day. Harriele yanked open the large doors to the chamber.
“Ah, Harriele. Good timing, we were just about to go looking for you.”
“I’m terribly sorry. I departed for the elder’s den without pardon. I shall accept punishment.” Harriele said sternly. It was ok to relax when alone, but when in the presence of other messengers- especially the beta or alpha- you had to be as still as a soldier and accept commands when given.
“I give my pardon, but please be more responsible next time, Delta Harriele.”
“Yes, sir.”
“Now, onto your assignment. I need you to go to Kanajj near Samitoab, and deliver a message to the local leader, or whoever is available. Beta Samion Gamisse is in charge of navigation. Delta Harriele Douna is in charge of negotiations. Delta Mazesa Altonyano is in charge of nourishment and medicinal emergencies. You depart tomorrow at sunrise. Understood?” Harriele froze in astonishment. Him, in charge of negotiations? That was usually the job of the most senior messenger, in this case Beta Samion! He glanced over to Beta Samion. His face was wrinkled in disbelief. He stiffened and began to speak hesitantly.
“Umm, sir, there m-must be some sort of m-misunderstanding-“
“There is no misunderstanding, Beta Samion. You are in charge of Navigation. Is that understood?”
Beta Samion shrank back in defeat. “Yes, sir.”
“You two?”
“Yes, sir.” Harriele and Mazesa said in unison.
“Then, you are dismissed. Be safe, and may your paths stay clear and the sky stay blue.” This was a traditional goodbye used with departing messengers. The three bowed and left. As soon as the large doors closed, Beta Samion turned to face Harriele with glaring eyes. “I don’t know what that fleabag is thinking, delta, but you better not screw this up, or else you’re screwed as well. If he had any sense, he wouldn’t have assigned some delta to be in charge of Navigations. Man, it annoys me when the family of the leader gets all the perks around here. You understand, Douna?”
Harriele was astonished at his use of words. How dare he call Ekelstasie those things! “Yes.”
“It’s ‘yes, sir’ to you, delta.”
“Yes, sir.”
“That’s better. Gosh, someone needs to knock some sense into the deltas around here. Kurenai just sits on her fat tail all day long, chatting with all the cute warrior toms…”

That's MOST of Chapter 1, I'm not quite done yet.... but as soon as I get back form seattle, I'ma post it on FP
Back to top Go down

My Story... If anyone's interested/cares.
Page 1 of 1